Wednesday, October 22, 2014

First Day at Brighton University/ Placement School

My first few days at the University of Brighton and going to my school was very exciting! When I went to Brighton, I got to tour the campus, learn about secondary education schools in Brighton, and get an introduction into what kind of curriculum I would be learning to work with in UK schools. As I said, I would take a lot of pictures so below is some beautiful views from Brighton University!

 I'm showing off the beautiful view of the town of Brighton! :)

It was also a day of a lot of information on the kind of curriculum and standards in UK schools that I would encounter in my new placement!
The UK schools have a National New Curriculum, which has just been implemented into schools this last September, and is very similar to our curriculum and teaching strategies in the US, in that we are requiring students to think critically, analyze information, debate and inquire problems, ask questions, and apply knowledge to familiar experiences. A big difference in the curriculum implemented in UK schools is that teacher teach Art, Music, and Physical Education, as well as most schools are Christian-based, so they teacher Religious Education too. In the school that I am going to student teach in, it was a religious-based school, but has not had a decline of religious inclusion in the school. They still support it, but do not teach Religious Education within the school. It is interesting to find out that many schools in the UK are different from another, based on achievement of standards and assessment targets, curriculum, and other areas of education. I have talked to other students in my study abroad group who ave admitted they are in schools that teach Religious Education, and I am interested in hearing future comments on how this may support student's well-being, social development, and emotional development.

I;m also excited to see how Art, Music, and Physical Education is taught by the teacher. I had a few minutes today to discuss with her how she incorporates Music and Art into her classroom and curriculum, and she admitted that a lot of the subjects certain to the literature and history that children are learning as well. I was happy to hear tat UK schools are integrating the subjects in their curriculum to provide whole instruction and support subjects like Music and Art, whereas in some of our US schools these subjects are becoming less important than other areas of education. I feel very excited to see how I can integrate these subjects, as well as learn to teach Physical Education! I  have had some experience teaching early years some Physical Education, more working with fine motor skills in writing, hold small items, and strength and balance in fluency of small movements. but I also have done some large motor activities like riding bikes, playing sports, and balance and movement of the whole body and parts. So I think that taking some of that experience and knowing how to teach activities that will influence children's skills in both fine motor and large motor movements and encourage knowledge of health and fitness is what is most important in teaching Physical Education in the UK schools. 

I am exited to say I am teaching at a wonderful primary school in Hastings, that has a beautiful campus, wonderfully laid out that provides each year level with outdoor activities, common rooms, and advanced technology. The students wear uniforms, which are so adorable! And the school has students from ages Reception (3-4yrs old) to Year 6 (10-11yrs old). So it is what America would call an elementary school, except for the fact that pre-school is also included. The school also has a nursery center on campus so parents can have their younger children in daycare while their other children are right next door in the school. The school is also blessed with an indoor swimming pool, which most the headteacher(principal) admitted most schools are not fortunate enough to have. I took a few pictures of the school, which are below.

Street view of Hastings, town where my school is.

The school also had the most amazing library that I have ever seen in a school. I was based on a rain forest, everything around had color and detail, and the reading club house was spectular!!

 Reading Club House below

It was great to finally meet my students and my cooperating teacher! The kids had a lot of questions and will definitely have more about where I am from and what my home is like! I am so excited to start November 3rd and get to know my students and my cooperating teacher more! 

For now I have a week or so off, because the schools are on half-term next week, which is like a fall break, so I will be making the trip to London tomorrow and hopefully to Germany and some other places during the week! Next Wednesday, I am going to Lewes to see the lighting of the bonfires, which is in memory of the extremist who tried to burn down the Houses of Parliament. It is a very exciting event that is mostly celebrated in Lewes, and I am excited to see people's interactions based on the event. My host family says it is a huge event that people celebrate everywhere, but its most exciting to see people light the huge bonfires in Lewes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment